Filter Results

1955 HARLEY DAVIDSON FL For Sale

1955 HARLEY DAVIDSON FL 55FL1582
1955 HARLEY DAVIDSON FL 55FL1582
1955 HARLEY DAVIDSON FL 55FL1582
1955 HARLEY DAVIDSON FL 55FL1582

1955 HARLEY DAVIDSON FL

In 1949, a year after receiving the "Pan-head" engine, the FL was given a new front suspension featuring hydraulically damped telescopic forks, replacing the leading link spring suspension of the time. These forks were standard on all big twin models for 1949.During their debut model year of 1949, Harley-Davidson referred to their new suspension systems as the "hydraulic front ends". Harley-Davidson's marketing department promoted the new suspension systems by renaming the big twin models "Hydra Glide" for the 1950 model year. This was Harley-Davidson's first departure from its policy of using alphabetic lettering to identify its models. This name would change twice in the history of the basic large-framed E and F series models, each time signaling an improvement in the bike's technology.In 1952, the Hydra-Glide's transmission standard hand-shift/foot-clutch was supplemented by the optional foot-shift/hand-clutch. The original format continued to be offered as an option until 1978.    1952 was also the last year of the 61 cu in (1,000 cc) EL, making the FL the last remaining large-frame mode.Although the 1903 founding is now the basis for "Anniversary Models", Harley-Davidson's 50th Golden Anniversary was celebrated in 1954. A more highly tuned engine with high-compression heads, higher-lift cams, and polished ports, was offered with the FLH version of 1955. The FLH designation has continued up to the present.   

The sweeping lines produced an identification that was both modern and harmonized with the action-styled design of the 74-inch OHV rigid frame. The introduction year for the new FLH model with 8:1 compression was 1955. A new medallion finished in bright chrome topped the front fender. It emphasized the V-type engine and the letters FL identified the model. Distinctive new V-enhanced nameplates took center stage on the gas tanks. The frame front downtubes returned to straight from the bow shaped down tubes introduced in 1948. A new rectangular lamp made of stamped steel construction was mounted on the hinged portion of the rear fender. A license bracket independent of the tail-lamp mounted directly above it with a hooked slide to adjust to any size plate and eliminate vibration. An all new streamlined front chain guard accommodated an all new compensating sprocket. The chain cover and clutch booster cover were now cadmium plated.

New finned aluminum cast reinforcing rocker cover (Pan-head) rings were secured with 6-hex head cap screws. Cylinder base gaskets were now made from a heat resistant, synthetic HYCAR rubber impregnated asbestos. A new O-ring and clamp intake manifold replaced the old plumbers nut manifold in use since the teens. Timken bearings were featured on the sprocket shaft. The left crankcase wall was strengthened for rigidity to carry the Timken bearing.he new pinion shaft main bearing was of the closed end type with one set of 13 long rollers. New 4620 nickel moly steel was used for the crank-pin and sprocket main-shafts. The sealed ray head lamp was now rubber mounted. The Jubilee horn mount bracket was redesigned for greater strength. The inner front chain guard received a new mounting treatment. The tanks were two-tone specified in one color and the fenders in another.

Details

  • Price: $29,995
  • Engine: 74CI
  • Color: BLACK AND GOLD
  • VIN: 55FL1582

Financing Available!